Six clusters to invest EUR 5.45 million in R&D infrastructure
On August 29th the Minister of Economy signed an order which confirmed the funding for six cluster projects from the European Union Structural Funds under the measure “Inoklaster LT”. These clusters will share EUR 5.45 million for the development of infrastructure for research, development and innovation (R&D&I).
“Previous projects dedicated to the development of clusters’ R&D infrastructure have already shown that this is a powerful tool motivating cluster members to engage in joint activities and, as a result, promote innovation, thus increasing added value and the competitiveness of cluster companies. The results of this 2nd “Inoklaster LT” call are also significant due to the fact that the “InoLink” project, which is co-ordinated by Agency for Science, Innovation and Technology (MITA) with the Lithuanian Innovation Center (LIC), demonstrated its effectiveness: all clusters that were granted financing were consulted by the project’s cluster development coordinators”, commented Director of MITA Kęstutis Šetkus.
Photoelectric Technology Cluster, iVita, NEBULA, the Dioclean Development Cluster and the Vilnius Cinema Cluster are among the six clusters which submitted winning projects and also among the fourteen that are being developed under Innovation Network Promotion and Development (InoLink) project. The project, funded by the European Regional Development Fund and launched last July, aims at encouraging clusterization, promoting cluster maturity, growth and international cooperation.
From film to biofuel
After the second call of the measure “Inoklaster LT” following projects will be implemented:
- Applied Research Institute for Prospective Technologies (Development of the Photovoltaic Technology Cluster Infrastructure for the New Generation InfraPV Technology”), Photovoltaic Technology Cluster
- De Futuro UAB (iVita Open Access R&D Infrastructure for Healthcare Cluster iVitaLab), iVita Health Cluster
- UAB VKK Plius (Development of the Vilnius Film Cluster Laboratory VKK4), Vilnius Cinema Cluster
- JSC Soundtest (Creation of an Artificial Intelligence Cluster R&D Infrastructure (DI-TECH)), Artificial Intelligence Technology Cluster
- AUGA group, AB (Research Laboratory of Large Volume Anaerobic Fermentors for Biomethan Concentration Enhancement Methods), Bio Power Plant Development Cluster
- UAB “Kino studija” (Development of Infrastructure of the Crossmedia Cluster R&D), Crossmedia Cluster NEBULA
Projects of the Photovoltaic Technology Cluster (EUR 2 033 188.30) and Bio Power Plant Development Cluster (EUR 1 223 401.40) got the largest amounts of funding and will be implementing the biggest projects. According to the rules of this call, depending on the priority area of Smart Specialization, the maximum amount of funding available for the project was 2 500 000 EUR (energy and sustainable environment, inclusive and creative society, new production processes, materials and technologies); EUR 1 800 000 (for agro-innovation and food technology, transport, logistics and information and communication technologies (ICT)); 2 000 000 Eur (for Health Technologies and Biotechnology).
11.6 mln EUR for next year
The deadline of the third call of “Inoklaster LT” has expired, but the fourth call is scheduled for 2018 II Q, and fifth call for 2018 III Q. According to the plan of “Inoklaster LT” measure, in 2018 clusters might receive up to EUR 11.6 million of investments from the EU Structural Funds in order to foster cooperation between private legal entities and / or other entities in the pursuit of the activities of R&D.